DIY: Felt balls
Felt balls are so much fun! They are really easy to make and look fantastic no matter how ever they're used. They are so versatile too - able to be made into all types of things; garlands, necklaces, rugs & even coasters.
Let's get started!
You will need:
Felting wool (called wool roving), a jug of hot soapy water (mix 2 tbsp detergent to 3 cups water), a bowl of warm water, and a towel to catch excess water.
1. Start with a small piece of wool laid out flat. Thin out the fibres so the wool becomes see through.
2. Squirt a little hot soapy water in the centre of the wool and roll fibres together to form a ball.
3. Continue to gently roll wool into a ball, applying a little more pressure as you go. It will take about 5 mins of continuous rolling to form a tight even ball. If the ball gets too soapy during the rolling process, rinse and squeeze it out in the bowl of warm water.
4. Once you have a nice even sized ball that can be easily bounced on the table, dunk it in the warm water to seal the fibres off.
* If cracks start to appear on your ball pull off a small piece of wool and place on top of the crack. Add more soapy water and continue rolling.
5. Place felt balls on a baking cooling rack to dry overnight.
Now you have made all these brightly coloured felt balls, go wild!
... Make them into anything you want ....
but stay tuned, a garland tutorial will be coming up soon!