Peanut Butter & Pumpkin Dog Treats
I came across this recipe a while ago and have been wanting to make these treats ever since! I thought Christmas was a good excuse to make some yummy dog treats for Fifi to have in her stocking. We all get to devour amazing food at Christmastime so why shouldn't she too?
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (I recommend using natural peanut butter = free from sugar & salt)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin (This recipe calls for 1/3 cup but I found the mixture to be too dry)
- 1 cup water
1. In a bowl, add all ingredients and mix well until combined.
2. Press dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap.
3. Place dough in the refrigerator for a few hours or preferably overnight.
4. Lightly flour your work surface using whole wheat flour.
5. Roll dough out until it is about 2cm thick.
6. Use a cookie cutter to cut out the treats (if you find the mixture too sticky to cut out, slightly wet your hands and roll the mixture into small balls. Flatten out and imprint with a cute cutter!)
7. Optional: apply an egg wash to the tops of the treats.
8. Bake in the oven at 180 C for 25 - 30mins till crunchy & brown.
9. Allow to cool before giving to your dog.
10. Feed to your dog & watch them go crazy!!
Now don't worry! These treats are made out of dog friendly ingredients - if you do know that your dog is allergic to wheat however, simply substitute the wheat flour for another type. I ended up substituting wheat flour for buckwheat, as that was all I had in the cupboard; the biscuits turned out perfectly and Fifi was none the wiser.
As the name suggests, these cookies are designed as treats ... only to be given to your pup every so often as part of a regular, healthy diet (though I'm sure Fifi would eat these all day, every day if she could!)
This recipe makes approximately 12 large sized cookies. The number of treats you have really depends on the size they're made. As I made these treats by balling them up and imprinting them, I ended up having 40 treat sized cookies. This means I had enough to give to our next door neighbour dogs, Phoebe, Max, Lola & Axel as well!
!! Share the love around this Christmas !!